- 2 CUPS GLUTEN FREE FLOUR MIX
- 1 CUP ALMOND MILK
- 1/8 CUP UNSALTED MACADAMIA NUTS
- 3/4 CUP CHICKPEA AQUAFABA*
- 2 TBSP BAOBAB POWDER**
- 3 PITTED DATES (4 IF SMALL)
- 1 TSP BAKING POWDER
- 1/4 TSP SEA SALT
- 1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
• Pre-heat Waffle Maker
• Throw the Aquafaba, Dates, Macadamia Nuts, Almond Milk, Baobab, Vanilla, Baking Soda and Salt into your high speed blender. If you have a Vitamix - turn it on variable 1 and build up to about 3-5 and blend for about a minute. Blast it to high speed for a few seconds to completely blend the nuts and dates.
• Transfer liquid to a large mixing bowl and slowly add the flour, whisking to combine.
• Spoon mixture into pre-heated waffle maker and get to work. My classic (not Belgian) 7” round waffle maker puts out about 4 waffles with this recipe - so double it or triple it as needed!!
• Once each waffle is done - transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely (or immediately!!)
• Once completely cool and dry - slice into portion sizes, pop into a ziplock or freezer safe container and enjoy for up to 3 month by popping into the toaster oven as you would a frozen waffle but knowing you created these bad boys from scratch and that you touched each and every ingredient! My girl eats about 3 triangles per meal - so one batch produces approximately 5 breakfasts for us.
• To serve, skip the syrup and slather with apple butter or add a cup of apple sauce to the side and dip the waffle in. Or mash up a few slices of banana and some blueberries and spread it on top. Or mix together a little jam and a little almond butter or try spreading avocado on them with some chocolate covered sunflower seeds..... experiment, have fun!!!
More Info on Ingredients
* OK - so.... Aquafaba - if you don’t yet know about aquafaba check on Zsu Dever’s book “Aquafaba” and prepare to have your mind blown. Aquafaba is the rather goopy liquid your canned beans (or cooked) are sitting in. I was so skeptical about this ingredient but now I love it (check out my chocolate mouse recipe on the blog) It is an amazing Egg Replacement in all sorts of sweet and savory (mostly) baked dishes. So, next time you’re throwing some chickpeas on your salad, save the liquid and make something with it!
Baobab is an emerging superfood that has been used for generations in Africa. The powder, made from the fruit of the baobab tree, is loaded with nutrient rich vitamins and minerals and is known to boosts immunity, sustain energy, support healthy digestion and nourish the skin. Tastes great on its own, tossed into salad dressings, added to smoothies, mixed with water for a super refreshing drink, the possibilities are endless. I love Baobab and I love everything that Kaibae stands for!